Patricia by Patricia

Patricia by Patricia
Patricia by Patricia

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Ocular Artist




I have a little story of rebirth for you.  I just finished  cataract operation for both my eyes. My cataracts were bad enough to have them paid for by Medicare, but not really stopping me that much. However, I decided that fear was holding me back from doing a procedure that everyone who had it, said changed their lives. So I mustered all my courage and went forward. The first eye for the first 15 hour was surprisingly painful but after that I saw without glasses for the first time in 65 years. Because of the pain, the second eye took even more courage. But it was less painful and now I can declare that my doctor is an ocular artist.

This is really a story about overcoming fear. I think there is so much fear in the world right now…so much unpredictability, that being able to control your own fear is one way not to get overwhelmed. It is easy to feel there is nothing that you can do and that freezes you from taking any action. The obvious answer is courage. We all have it but we don’t all utilize it. By calling upon my own courage, I was able to overcome not just that particular fear of losing my sight, but I gained a new perspective on how courage can empower us in general.

My ophthalmologist gave me a huge gift. He allowed me to see without glasses. But the vision that I gained was a future where we can all overcome our fears and have a world of harmony.  



3 comments:

  1. First, I am thrilled the procedure was a success and your vision is restored. I am very happy for you. Cataracts is the #1 surgery performed in the US, so by the numbers, one should not be fearful. Yet, it is your EYES. Yikes!
    Second, I enjoyed your insight into fear gained from this life experience. Our world is gripped with fear of so many things - each other! - and we must encourage us all to overcome those fears both with courage but also with knowledge and thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing. We read every comment and review it.
Unfortunately, if your comment is anonymous it will not be made public.