I was so proud to see the excellence of the art that was shown at the Art San Diego Contemporary Art Fair particularly at the
I hear over and over that there are not enough sales galleries in
· Don’t go behind your gallery’s back to make a sales direct to a collector and cut them out
· Make sure your prices are the same for all
· Art work does not go on sale. Destroy the work you don’t like and don’t undermine your prices.
· Pay artists on time when you are paid
· Split your commission and work with agents and consultants and other galleries to build audience for your artists. Greed will restrict growing the reputation of the artists and thus hamper the rise of prices.
· If you discount the work more than 10% to make a sale, take the discount off your commission, not the artist’s share of the price.
· Use galleries…don’t cut them out to go directly to the artist. You affect the whole market with this practice.
· Don’t negotiate the price so that the gallery barely makes a profit. Pay full price if justified by quality, reputation and provenance.
So now there are so many wonderful visual art events in